Snacking is problematic when you first start out on keto. All of a sudden all your go-to snacks are forbidden. No chocolate bars, no crisps, no toast, no pastries or cakes. So what to do? Here are some great keto snacks to keep those hunger gremlins at bay!
- Beef jerky*
- Cherry tomatoes
- Pepperoni slices*
- Chorizo slices*
- Iced Coffee (made with Almond Milk and a Keto-friendly sweetener)
- Macadamia nuts
- Brazil nuts
- Pecan nuts
- Dark chocolate* (with over 80% cocoa solids)
- Pork rinds
- Hard boiled eggs
- Bulletproof coffee
- Sour cream and cheese dip* with raw veggies (cucumber, celery, red pepper)
- Guacamole* with raw veggies (cucumber, celery, red pepper)
- Berries with whipped cream (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or raspberries)
- Pickled gherkins*
* Check the nutritional information for different brands of these as the carb values can vary enormously. Some have lots of added sugar, so choose carefully.
Snacks to Avoid
Low carb bars.
I’m not saying always avoid these, but even bars marketed as low carb still contain a lot more carbs than you might expect.
Full of sugar!
It’s hard to think that fruit isn’t a good option when you’re on a diet, and some berries are Keto-friendly, but bananas certainly aren’t.
Disappointingly (as these are probably my favourite nut) these are way higher in carbs than the other nuts listed above.
A cappuccino or latte (unless it’s made with a Keto-friendly milk like almond or coconut milk). While full fat cream is fine, regular milk is best avoided.